Yogurt Cake With Orange Glaze
Serving Size: 8
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt (do not exceed)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange or lemon extract
- 2-3 tablespoons cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and lightly flour a bundt pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter until soft and continue to beat while gradually adding sugar until mixture is light and creamy.
- In separate bowl, combine eggs, vanilla and lemon peel. Beat well about 15 seconds.
- Slowly add to butter mixture in 4 to 5 steps, beating continuously until completely absorbed and mixture is pale yellow and quite fluffy.
- Fold flour and yogurt alternately into batter, in 2 steps each. Pour into cake pan.
- Bake until toothpick or wire tester comes out clean, 80 to 90 minutes. Cool on rack.
- Cream butter until soft and continue beating, gradually adding sugar, until light and creamy.
- Beat in peel and extract.
- Beat in cream, if desired, 1 tablespoon at a time until glaze reaches spreadable consistency. Glaze cake.
By Kathy Miller via Terry Blady
Adapted from Bee & Thistle Inn