ITALIAN SPAGHETTI MEAT SAUCE
Serving Size: 8
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped (I don’t always add the green pepper… you decide)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (7 1/2 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 2 envelopes (1 1/2 ounces each) Italian-style spaghetti sauce mix with mushrooms
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar (a little sugar helps reduce the acidity of tomato sauce)
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 16 ounces Italian-style spaghetti
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook and stir meat, onion and pepper until meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except spaghetti and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover; simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti as directed on package; drain.
- Serve meat sauce over hot spaghetti; pass Parmesan cheese.
Meat sauce can be prepared ahead. Cover and refrigerate or freeze. When ready to serve; cook spaghetti; heat meat sauce and serve over hot spaghetti.
The Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library