Sausage Tortellini Soup
Serving Size: 6
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 (14 oz) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 c dry red wine
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 T sugar
- 2 t Italian seasoning
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 9 OZ refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage, onion and garlic in a large Dutch oven until sausage is crumbly; drain. Stir in broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, carrots, sugar and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Skim surface and stir in zucchini and tortellini. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
This freezes well, but don’t add zucchini and tortellini until defrosted.
By Sue Braddock