Italian Rice Salad
Serving Size: 8
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups good quality vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, short julienned strips
- 1/4 cup hearts of palm, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Make the rice risotto style: Saute onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil until transparent.
- Add garlic, and cook for a minute.
- Add rice, stir to coat.
- Add salt, thyme and wine and cook a few minutes until wine is absorbed.
- Slowly pour in stock, stirring and let simmer until rice is cooked.
- Pour rice mixture onto a baking pan to cool.
- Combine pine nuts, capers, artichoke hearts, olives, roasted red peppers, hearts of palm, and basil in a large bowl.
- Add cooled rice.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, pepper and salt.
- Serve at room temperature.
Recipe Adapted From chef Katie Button of Nightbell and Curate in Asheville, NC via Garden & Gun