POTATO SALAD HAECKER FAMILY STYLE
Serving Size: 6-8
- 3 cups of cooked sliced potatoes Idaho gold or small red waxy potatoes (these hold their shape and don’t crumble when sliced)
- 1/4 cup water in which the potatoes were cooked still warm
- 2/3 cup Safflower oil or other mild tasting oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery (optional)
- Parsley or chives to taste
- Salt, pepper and dried mustard to taste
- 8 bacon slices, cooked very crisp and crumbled, optional.
- Chop or dice onion and place in bottom of mixing bowl.
- Cook potatoes in salted boiling water in their skins in a covered saucepan. 30-40 minutes.
- Peel and slice over the onions while hot. This allow the heat of the potato to soften the onion.
- Once potatoes are sliced over the onion, sprinkle with either 1/2 cup heated white wine or 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar.
- Add 1/4 cup of the liquid the potatoes were cooked in (adds starch to bind).
- Allow to sit at room temperature for an hour.
- Mix dressing and pour over potatoes. Use as much as needed. Retain remaining as you may need more later.
- Best made the morning of or the night before the day you are planning to serve to allow dressing to absorb. Hold at room temperature if that day, refrigerate if overnight.
- Taste before serving. Will probably need more salt and more dressing.
By Jo-Ann Leimberg via KathyMillerTime