Serving Size: 6+
- 2 chickens (2-1/2 pounds, each), cut into quarters
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 lemons, sliced paper thin
- Combine the chicken pieces and lemon juice in a bowl just large enough to hold them comfortably. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain the chicken thoroughly and pat dry. Fill a plastic bag with the flour, salt, paprika, and black pepper, and shake well to mix. Put 2 pieces of chicken into the bag at a time and shake, coating completely. Shake off excess flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat until hot. Fry the chicken pieces, a few at a time, until well browned and crisp. About 10 minutes per batch.
- Arrange the browned chicken in a single layer in a large shallow baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with the lemon zest and brown sugar. Mix the chicken stock and lemon extract together and pour around the chicken pieces. Set a thin lemon slice on top of each piece of chicken.
- Bake chicken until tender, 50 minutes.
The lemon and brown sugar give this recipe a unique twist.
By Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins from The Silver Palate Cookbook
Adapted from KathyMillerTime
This chicken has a crisp golden crust and the zing of fresh lemon. It’s great hot, and also terrific cold, making it perfect picnic fare.