Black-Eyed Pea and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Serving Size: 8
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds of sweet potatoes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups black-eyed peas (cooked from 1 1/4 cups dried, or use two cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Process first 9 ingredients (through black pepper) in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine the sweet potatoes with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Shake a little salt on the potatoes and roast for about 25-30 minutes, or until just tender and starting to brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, black-eyed peas, onion, cilantro, lime zest and dressing.
- Season to taste with additional salt and/or lime juice.
- The dressing makes quite a bit, but the black eyed peas seem to absorb.
By Jane MacDonald and Gloria Hart
Adapted from What Would Cathy Eat