Two Potato Gratin
Serving Size: 10
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1/4 cup butter divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 pounds white or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (or substitute Swiss cheese)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute shallots in 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in cream and next 5 ingredients. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes.
- Combine sliced potatoes and milk in a large, microwave safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and microwave at high 5 minutes. Drain mixture, discarding milk.
- Layer 1/3 of white potatoes with sweet potatoes.
- Spoon 1/3 of cream mixture over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese.
- Repeat layers twice, and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Dot with remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes or until browned. Let stand 10 minutes.
Adapted from Southern Living