Shrimp And Tabasco Hot Sauce Cheese Grits
Serving Size: 3
- 1 cup Quaker Quick Grits
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese (white)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds 26-30 count shrimp
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced scallions
- Cook grits according to instructions on package.
- As grits are finishing, whisk in butter, cheddar, parmesan, cayenne, paprika and Tabasco.
- After all ingredients are incorporated season with salt and pepper.
- Cook bacon until it begins to brown, remove from heat, strain and reserve bacon grease and bacon bits.
- Heat large skillet until very hot add olive oil and 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- As oils begin to smoke, toss in shrimp to cover bottom of pan.
- Before stirring, season with salt and pepper (this will season shrimp in particular, but the rest of dish as well).
- Stir until shrimp begin to turn pink all over (let pan return to original hot temperature).
- Stir in minced garlic and bacon bits (be careful not to burn the garlic).
- Toss in mushrooms and coat with oil briefly.
- Add lemon juice and wine, stir for 30 seconds or so until everything is well coated and incorporated.
- Assuming that this is ready to be served, toss in sliced scallions and stir for about 20 seconds. (if these hold too long before serving, they will begin to turn brown and lose all of their crunch).
- Serve over the aforementioned, patiently waiting cheese grits.
Go easy with the salt!
By John Currence via KathyMillerTime