Shrimp Boil with Green Olives and Lemon
Serving Size: 8
- 2 Vidalia onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 dried chili peppers
- 3 lemons, sliced
- 6 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 pounds medium-large shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups pitted Spanish olives
Shrimp Spice Mix
- Stir together
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Bring first 10 ingredients and 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp to pot. Increase to high heat and bring shrimp to a boil.
- Add Spanish olives.
- Remove from heat, and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Drain shrimp and olives, discarding solids. Place shrimp and olive mixture in a jelly-roll pan covered with brown Kraft paper.
- Sprinkle with Shrimp Spice mix. Serve immediately with cocktail sauces and lemon wedges.
Adapted from Southern Living, June 2015