Roasted Upside Down Turkey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 1 12-18 pound turkey (I buy a fresh turkey, not frozen)
- vegetable oil
- Remove the giblets and neck from 2 body cavities.
- Tuck the wing tips behind the back to keep tips from burning.
- Overlap the legs and tie them together with kitchen string.
- Rub the entire turkey with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place roasting rack in roaster pan. Line rack with aluminum foil. This keeps rack from making marks on the turkey breast.
- Place the turkey BREAST SIDE DOWN.
- Roast for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, flip the turkey over by holding its ends with paper towels. (Remove foil at this time).
- Return to oven.
- Roast for another hour. Check temperature.
- You can also baste at this time.
- Once breast hits 160-165 degrees remove turkey, tent with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving.