Pimento Cheese Creamed Spinach
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces and softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat ove to 350 degrees.
- Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir cream cheese into onion mixture until melted and well blended.
- Stir in spinach, milk and next three ingredients.
- Stir together egg, drained pimiento, and 1 1/2 cups cheese; stir egg mixture into spinach mixture. Spoon mixture into lightly greased ramekins or a 2 quart baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss together panko, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese; sprinkle over spinach mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Adapted from Southern Living