Low Country Boil
- 2 12 ounce bottles beer
- 1 pound small red new potatoes
- 1 package smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced
- 1-2 sweet Vidalia onions, diced or sliced in wedges
- 3-4 lemons cut in wedges
- 1/2 -1 cup Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4-1/2 cup Cajun seasoning (if you would like a Louisiana twist)
- 3 ears fresh Silver Queen corn, shucked and sliced in thirds
- 4 pounds Mayport shrimp (Northeast Florida shrimp), peeled and deveined with tails on
- Bring a large pot of water to a simmer on stove, or grill at a tailgate.
- Add beer, Old Bay Seasoning and simmer to meld the flavors.
- Add potatoes, sausage and onions, and lemons. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Add corn and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook 5-6 minutes until they turn pink.
- Strain solids and serve on a large platter or on newspaper if at a picnic or tailgate.
- Serve with soft rosemary butter or olive oil with herbs for the potatoes.
- A few drops of hot sauce and a squeeze of lemon never hurts.
Try adding green olives or 2 jalapenos, sliced lengthwise if desired.