Liz Hodes’ Barbecued Chicken
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 whole chickens, or 12 chicken breasts
- Pierce chicken pieces with a fork and soak overnight in soaking sauce. Grill chicken, basting with soaking sauce for first half of cooking time. Place bony side of the chicken down next to the heat first when grilling. Bones act as an insulator and keep chicken from browning too fast.
- Mix browning sauce in small saucepan over low heat until butter melts. Baste chicken with the browning sauce for the last half of the cooking time. Warm any remaining browning sauce and serve along with chicken.
- The entire cooking time should be 45 minutes to an hour.
This is a favorite recipe in my family. You can grill at home and transport to tailgate wrapped in foil. The sugar in the browning sauce adds a nice glaze to the chicken. Love the sweet-tart combination. If you don’t have time to soak and glaze, try grilling chicken breasts, topping with “GARLIC SAUCE” from Herman’s Ribhouse in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The Garlic Sauce is available for sale at Herman’s Rib House.