LENTIL SOUP WITH POLISH KIELBASA
Serving Size: 8-10
- 1 pound French green lentils
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup good olive oil, plus extra for drizzling on top
- 1 teaspoon salt can add more if needed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 3 cups celery, diced (8 stalks)
- 3 cups carrots, diced
- 3 cups small Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 or 2 12 ounce package Beef Polish Kielbasa, diced (depending on your taste)
- 2 tablespoons red wine or red wine vinegar
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse lentils, let drain.
- In a large stockpot on medium heat,saute the onions and garlic with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme for 20 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, and potatoes for 10 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato paste and lentils.
- Add diced Polish Kielbasa
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.
- Check seasonings.
- Add red wine or red wine vinegar and serve hot, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
I combined several lentil soup recipes to come up with one I prefer. Leave off the Kielbasa to make vegetarian. I like the sausage and I added 2 packages!