Cheese Grits by Joy McCabe
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3-4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups uncooked quick grits
- ½ stick butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- In a 6 quart stock pot bring water, cream and salt to a boil. Watch your pot so the liquid does not boil over.
- Reduce the heat to medium and slowly whisk in grits stirring to combine.
- Stir with the whisk continuously until grits are well mixed.
- Cover and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they are creamy and smooth. Stir in the butter and cheese. Serve hot.
Use quick grits, do not use instant grits.
For a lighter version substitute skim milk or fat free half and half for the cream and omit the butter.
By Joy McCabe@joymccabe.com