BROCCOLI ,CHEESE AND WILD RICE CASSEROLE
Serving Size: 6-8
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg 5-8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (or your favorite)
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups wild rice blend
- 3 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in large pot. When oil shimmers, add the shallots and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, dill, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add the butter and wild rice. Cook 2-3 minutes, until the rice is golden and toasted.
- Pour in 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered for 40-45 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in the broccoli, spinach and 1/2 cup of each cheese.
- Spoon into large casserole dish or divide into 2 smaller dishes. Scatter the remaining cheese over top of casserole.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with additional thyme.
KathyMillerTime Adapted from Half Baked Harvest