Here is the new family favorite salad in our family. The Scala Salad, made famous by the iconic Beverly Hills restaurant…yes La Scala.
La Scala opened in Beverly Hills in 1956 and is a “Beverly Hills institution best known for its chopped salad and its celebrity sightings.”
I follow Sandra Sallin on Instagram and she is the cutest 80 something year old…She posted this salad, I tried it, loved it, but also added a couple of ingredients during this Christmas season.
Hope you enjoy!
Here is the new favorite salad in our family. The Scala Salad, made famous by the iconic Beverly Hills restaurant...yes La Scala. I added the olives and pomegranate seeds...because I wanted to!
- 1 head Iceberg lettuce
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 6 ounces Italian Salami, finely chopped
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and coarsely chopped
- green olives, Castelvetrano if you can find them
- pomegranate seeds to garnish (I love these especially at Christmas time and they are extremely healthy for you!)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (the original recipe calls for 1/4 c. vegetable oil and 1/4 c. olive oil but I only use olive oil....some of those other vegetable oils are not healthy)
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar or part lemon juice...I am partial to lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 teapsoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl and keep in refrigerator until time to serve.
- Combine salad dressing ingredients in a mini food processor if you have one. Taste. Can make the dressing a day ahead to allow the flavors to combine.
- Toss right before serving.
KATHY'S NOTESI added the olives and pomegranate seeds because I had just made a delicious charcuterie cheese board with those 2 at Christmas....I thought they added another dimension of flavor. I do think the garbanzo beans make this super crunchy and healthy.
By KathyMillerTime adapted from Sandra Sallin via Instagram
Recipe Printed from www.kathymillertime.com
I’ll be serving this salad for our New Year’s Eve dinner.
Hoping all have a Happy New Year!
Come celebrate with me. I’ll save you a seat at the table.