Tidewater Boil Burgers
Serving Size: 6
Tidewater Boil Burgers with Charred Sweet Corn Salsa and Lemon-Lime Crem-onnaise
Charred Sweet Corn and Chorizo Salsa
- 1 large ear fresh sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup small diced chorizo or kielbasa sausage
- 3 tablespoons minced Vidalia onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup quality mayonnaise, preferably southern-made Duke’s
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (3 key limes or 1 regular)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly pressed garlic
- 6 soft medium-large quality bakery potato buns, split
Crab N Shrimp Patties
- 1 pound fresh crab meat, picked through for shells
- 3/4 pound fresh medium wild-caught North American shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 1 large fresh egg plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 1/4 cup minced green onion, including green part
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Zatarain’s or Old Bay
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
For the salsa
- Clean the corn and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place directly over the hottest part of the grill.
- Cover and grill the corn, turning as needed, until char marks appear on some areas, about 10 minutes.
- Cut the kernels from the cob with a sharp knife and place into a small mixing bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a small frying pan over the grill rack or side burner, cook the sausage until browned, then transfer with a slotted spoon to the bowl with the corn.
- Add the onion, parsley, salt, and pepper and toss. Cover and set aside.
For the crem-onnaise
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, crema, lime juice, and lemon juice.
- Cover and chill.
For the potato buns
- Melt the butter with the garlic in a small skillet over the rack, and then remove from the heat. Brush the cut sides of the buns with about 3 tablespoons of the garlic butter.
For the patties
- In a medium bowl, lightly mix the crab, shrimp, beaten egg and egg white, mustard, onion, lemon zest, salt, seafood seasoning, and 2 tablespoons of the remaining garlic butter.
- Add half of the panko and let rest 5 minutes.
- Add the additional panko as needed until you arrive at a good consistency.
- Form into 6 patties.
- Brush the patties with the remaining garlic butter.
- Set aside until patties reach room temperature.
- Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook until just opaque inside, turning once, about 6 minutes total.
- Meanwhile grill the buns until golden.
To assemble the burgers
- Spread the buns with the crem-onnaise, place the patties on the bottom buns, top with the salsa, and add the bun tops.
By Susan Scarborough
This built-on-a-bun version has all the elements that are usually tossed in a pot: seasoned crab, shrimp, corn, sausage, and even potatoes.