LENTIL SOUP WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Serving Size: 8
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 split peas (or more lentils)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
Add at the end
- 2-3 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- swish of sherry, red wine viengar or lemon juice
- Place all ingredients in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 1-2 hours until potatoes are cooked through. Can also use a crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours.
- Place about 4 cups of cooked soup in a blender with the olive oil. Pulse gently until semi-smooth. Add back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Stir in the kale and parsley. Turn the heat off and let sit for a little while to meld flavors.
- Season to taste and add sherry, red wine vinegar or lemon juice.
- Serve and top with parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum