ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP
Serving Size: 4
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1-2 cans cannellini beans (I like beans!)
- 2 cups spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, add olive oil and heat until warm.
- Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes or until evenly browned (casings on)
- Use a tongs to remove sausage and set aside.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to pot and cook 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the beef stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and beans. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Cut the cooked sausage into 1/4 inch slices. Add sausage to soup pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook 5 minutes before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve in warm bowls.
I like to add a little hot sauce. Also I cook it a little longer without the spinach. Add spinach 5-10 minutes before serving.
By KathyMillerTime Adapted from Soup The ultimate Book of Soups and Stews