EASY ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
3 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 tbs. olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz. slab Benton’s bacon, cut into ¼-inch matchsticks (reserve rendered fat) or regular bacon
2 tbs. minced shallot (about 1 medium shallot) or onion
3 tbs. balsamic vinegar
½ cup reserved bacon fat
- Cut brussel sprouts in half, place on a roasting pan and toss with olive oil.
- Roast for 15- 20 minutes in a 425 degree oven.
- Meanwhile fry bacon matchsticks in an iron skillet. Place on paper towels
- Reserve bacon grease. ( I strain grease through cheesecloth into a coffee cup)
- In iron pan, saute onions or shallot for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vinegar and bacon fat and black pepper.
- Stir until heated.
- Toss over brussel sprouts.
I like to serve mine in the small/medium cast iron skillet.
Also at Christmas time I like to throw pomegranate arils into everything! I tried with these and they were great and colorful.
Chef John Ondo at the Atlantic Room on Kiawah Island, Garden & Gun