- 10 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into thin slices
- 2 12 ounce bottle or cans dark German beer
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 hoagie buns, bratwurst buns, or other crusty rolls, split and toasted or Pretzel rolls.
Easy Cranberry-Pickle Relish
- 1 cup canned whole cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- Pierce bratwursts with fork.
- Grill over medium heat 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat butter over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add beer, brown sugar, vinegar, caraway seeds, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Place bratwursts in beer mixture; keep warm until serving time.
- To serve, place grilled bratwurst in a bun or roll.
- Using a slotted spoon, top with some cooked onion slices and Easy Cranberry-Pickle Relish. Makes 10 sandwiches.
Easy Cranberry Pickle Relish
- In a small bowl, combine cranberry sauce and sweet pickle relish.
To transport to your tailgate, carry cooked brats and the beer cooking liquid in an insulated container. Serve within 1 to 2 hours.
Adapted from Midwest Living