WATERMELON TOMATO SALAD
Serving Size: 4-6
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cut into 1 inch cube
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 12 ounces yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon juice
- 1 shallot sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into 1 inch pieces (or small mozzarella balls)
- Gently comnine watermelon and sugar in a large bowl. Transfer watermelon to colander and set colander in now-empty bowl. Cover colander with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Toss tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in large bowl.
- Add shallot, basil, drained watermelon, and tomatoes and toss gently to combine.
- Transfer to a platter and evenly scatter mozzarella over top. Drizzle with extra olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Kathy’s Comments…I also tried this with no sugar. It was still delicious. If the shallots are too strong, could use thin slices of sweet vidalia onions, especially in the summer time when vidalias are readily available.
Penny Giles via KathyMillerTime