SWEETIE’S SWEET POTATOES
Serving Size: 12
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes (about 8 medium), peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest plus 1/2 cup fresh juice (from 1 large orange)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for baking dish
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13×9 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Place sweet potato chunks in a large pot, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potaotes are tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain potaotes in a colander and let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together orange zest and juice in a small bowl. Sit in melted butter until combined.
- Stir together brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a separate small bowl.
- Arrange half of the sweet potato chunks in an even layer in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture, and drizzle with half of the butter mixture. Sprinkle with half of the toasted pecans. Repeat process with remaining sweet potatoes, brown sugar mixture, buttee mixture, and toasted pecans.
- Bake in preheated oven until casserole is bubbling around edges, 20- 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The original recipe calls for marshmallow on top. To make ahead, prepare the casserole through Step 5. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes. Bake as in Step 6
Chef Kelsey Barnard Clark's great grandmother Sweetie