LEMON ALMOND GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Serving Size: 10-12
- 3 (15-oz) packages frozen French-cut green beans, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup salted butter, divided, 2 T. and 6 T.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion or shallot
- 1 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1 1/2 cup untoasted sliced almonds, divided, 1 cup and 1/2 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (8-oz) can diced water chestnuts, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Squeeze thawed green beans lightly to remove water.
- Stir together 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1 cup panko, 1 cup almonds, 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often until mixture is caramelized, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer onions to plate and without wiping out Dutch oven, add remaining 6 tablespoons butter. Melt butter over medium high; whisking flour, and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth. Cook, whisking, until thickened and bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in Parmesan cheese, kosher salt and black pepper and 1 tablespoon lemon juice until melted and smooth.
- Stir in green beans, onions, water chestnuts and 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Spoon into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until bubbly around edges, 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; top casserole with panko mixture. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees
To make ahead, prepare recipe through step 9, up to 3 days in advance; cover and refrigerate. On the day of, resume with step 10. Bake 15 minutes (10 minutes more if cold from refrigerator). Add toppings and bake 30 minutes more.
By KathyMillerTime, Adapted from Southern Living