COUNTRY GREEN BEANS
Serving Size: 12+
- 1/2 cup bacon fat
- 2 cups thinly sliced shallots or sweet onions (I like to use sweet onions)
- 3 lbs. fresh green beans, strings removed, snapped into 1½-inch pieces and well rinsed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over moderate heat, heat bacon fat until shimmery.
- Add shallots or onions, stirring to coat. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cook until almost translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add beans and broth, making sure that broth covers beans. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook the beans until the stock is almost gone, about two hours. Add salt and lots of fresh black pepper.
Recipe from chef Kevin Callaghan of Acme Food & Beverage Co. in Carrboro, North Carolina via KathyMillerTime