I just received a spiral slicer as a gift and am having such fun with it. Many of you know that Dave is a healthy eater. He has been cutting back on carbs and is also cutting out Gluten products. During this process he has been experimenting with new recipes.
Our favorite so far…Zoodles!!!! Zucchini spiral sliced, used as a replacement for traditional pasta.
We made Pasta Puttanesca adapted from Maria Emmerich’s healthy cookbook.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped (I use sweet campari or cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced anchovy fillets (come on you can do it! Flavor!)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups Zoodles (directions below)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Fresh shrimp (optional)
- 2 medium zucchini
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened and lightly carmelized, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the noodles, and simmer until sauce has thickened and slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, then add the prepared noodles to the pan and toss for 1 minute. Divide among four serving bowls and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place a paper towel on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini. Using a spiral slicer, swirl the zucchini into long, thin noodle like strips.
- Spread out the zucchini noodles on the paper towel on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
NotesI love using the zucchini noodles instead of pasta. I cooked the zucchini while the sauce was simmering. Then served the sauce on top of the zoodles. We added blackened shrimp cooked on our cooktop in a cast iron skillet. Delish!
Adapted from Maria Emmerich, The 30 Day Ketogenic Cleanse
Recipe Printed from www.kathymillertime.com
Check out our video below…Dave and James plating our Puttanesca…
Two good things…
1. If you don’t have a spiral slicer you can buy zoodles in the produce section at Harris Teeter or your local store.
2. March Madness is here…
Come celebrate with me. I’ll save you a seat at the table.